The Rivers & Streams command displays the National Hydrograph Dataset (NHD) from the USGS web map service, showing river and stream data on the Map View. The NHD represents the water drainage network of the United States, and includes features such as rivers, streams, canals, lakes, ponds, coastline, dams, and other hydrography-related data.
Follow these steps to see the river and stream data on the Map View:
- From the Watershed ribbon menu, click the Rivers & Streams command.
- The Rivers and Streams Data dialog box will be displayed.
- In the General Specifications section the default layer name is Rivers & Streams and can be changed by the user.
- In the Select Data to Display section, by default all layers are selected. The user can use the provided default selection as these are the typical hydrography layers displayed. However, the user can experiment with what hydrography layers to display on the Map View. To return to the default settings, click the [Default] button.
- When the options have been properly defined, click the [OK] button and the software will load and display the hydrography layers on the Map View.
- In the Map Data Layers panel, the software provides a data legend for each hydrography layer that lists the hydrography data that is included with that layer. Expand the layer to see the data legend.